[aprssig] Tesla Field Day mode

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:23:20 EST 2019

Hi Bob,

Yes, but the hard part is getting at that power.  The trick you used
with your Prius (aka PriUPS) is harder to do in modern EVs, given how
the new batteries have a much higher voltage and are well isolated.  You
can't just pull up the floor panel in the trunk and hook in with a pair
of alligator clips.

Just putting a ham radio in my EV was a challenge, since one can't pull
much power from the "accessory" outlet.  Mine is only rated to 8 amps,
and most mobile rigs can pull up to 13 amps.  In some cars, going direct
to the relatively small 12v battery isn't much better unless the car is
on or actively charging.  And if it's charging, well, you don't exactly
need the car...  I ended up going with a Yaesu FT-817, which has its own
battery, and recharges gently (under 3 amps) from the accessory port.  6
watts of RF power to a glass-mount antenna is also unlikely to upset any
of the car's electronics.  Seems to work pretty well.

All that said, when a Tesla is in party or camper mode, I expect car is
"on" and the contactors engaged.  If so, it should be actively supplying
recharging power to the 12v battery derived from the main pack.  Under
those circumstances, you probably can get away with pulling a few
hundred watts from there on those cars.  It could be a good power source
for emergency digital communications (Winlink, APRS), but I seriously
would not recommend running your house from it.

Greg  KO6TH