[aprssig] Lazy APRS Installation (objects)

Freddie Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Fri Feb 15 12:38:21 EST 2019

> On February 14, 2019 at 8:40 PM Charles Doughtie via aprssig <aprssig at lists.tapr.org> wrote:
>

>     I am using Nuvi 350s and wish I could find a newer GPS for updated maps, however. Does anyone have any ideas how to update the old Nuvi with small, local area maps?
>

>     de Charlie, N5EXY,  Grid EM1Øfl36vu,
>     South Suburban Greater Hutto
>     Where Am I?  http://www.aprs.fi/n5exy-9

I get these reminders every so often. I use them in my GPSMAP 62S.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

These are based off of Lambertus's work here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

If you have questions or comments about these maps, please feel
free to ask.  However, please do not send me private mail.  The
odds are, someone else will have the same questions, and by
asking on the talk-us@ list, others can benefit.

Downloads:

http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2019-02-10

Map to visualize what each file contains:

http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2019-02-10/kml/kml.html
----

----

Why did you do this?

        I wrote scripts to joined them myself to lessen the impact
        of doing a large join on Lambertus's server.  I've also
        cut them in large longitude swaths that should fit conveniently
        on removable media.

http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/2019-02-10

Can or should I seed the torrents?

        Yes!!  If you use the .torrent files, please seed.  That web
        server is in the UK, and it helps to have some peers on this
        side of the Atlantic.

Why is my map missing small rectangular areas?

        There have been some missing tiles from Lambertus's map (the
        red rectangles),  I don't see any at the moment, so you may
        want to update if you had issues with the last set.

Why can I not copy the large files to my new SD card?

        If you buy a new card (especially SDHC), some are FAT16 from
        the factory.  I had to reformat it to let me create a >2GB
        file.

Does your map cover Mexico/Canada?

        Yes!!  I have, for the purposes of this map, annexed Ontario
        in to the USA.  Some areas of North America that are close
        to the US also just happen to get pulled in to these maps.
        This might not happen forever, and if you would like your
        non-US area to get included, let me know.

-- Dave