[aprssig] Radio Suggestion

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Aug 18 21:17:41 EDT 2019

Michael WA7SKG wrote...

 > Looking for suggestions on a radio
 > to put in my truck for APRS.

The last mono-band VHF radio that had a 6-pin mini-DIN "data" connector
on the back was the Yaesu FT-1500. I have half a dozen of them, but they
aren't for sale! Bob W9BU mentioned the Alinco DR-135T. If you get that,
do NOT get the Alinco TNC. Instead grab a T3-135 from Argent Data. Did I
say DO NOT GET the Alinco TNC?

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=166

I really dislike the Alinco radios. I have two of the DR-135Ts.
Programming by hand is a real nuisance. They run hot with much more than
short voice transmissions. I have a T2-135 in one of them. I should pick
up a couple of T3-135s and put in them one day.

The "budget" radio with a 6-pin mini-DIN "data" connector is the Kenwood
TM-V71A. It uses the same body as the TM-D710. You will not regret
getting it. It is easy to use and easy to program by hand. Purchase a
cable and you can download Kenwood's freebie programming software. You
won't regret getting it. It isn't as small as the FT-1500, but what is?
As a bonus, you can use it as a cross-band repeater or frequency agile
remote base, but you can of course use the radio for APRS-only and
VHF-only if you wish.

Other than putting a T3-135 in an Alinco radio, I would not consider
getting one that did not have a 6-pin mini-DIN "data" connector. These
days, that means purchasing a dual band radio.

--
73 Keith VE7GDH