[aprssig] Radio Suggestion

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Sun Aug 18 20:32:11 EDT 2019

On 8/18/2019 6:11 PM, Michael Barnes wrote:

> Looking for suggestions on a radio to put in my truck for APRS.
> Dedicated to the purpose, I'm looking for something very small, minimal
> bells and whistles, I'll be using it with an RPi/TNC-Pi package.

The ideal radio would be a single-band 2m mobile (assuming you plan to
run APRS on a 2m frequency) with an easy way of accessing receive audio,
transmit audio, and PTT. Right now, the only radio I know of that fits
that bill is the Alinco DR-135T (without the built-in TNC). It has a
DB-9 connector on the back that provides an easy connection to the
signals you need for interfacing an external TNC.

There are some other single-band 2m radios that you might find on the
used market which would be suitable such as the Yaesu FT-2600M and, I
think, the Kenwood TM-261.

There have been several dual-band radios produced in recent history that
include a "packet connector".

Bob...