[aprssig] GPS Epoch Rollover Findings

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 12:20:21 EDT 2019

No joy here.  Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.  I found the apparently latest
firmware, 2.30, and updated to that.  Also there was a prior
date-related patch of some sort
(https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3731).  Tried
that.

Let it run overnight.  No luck.  How long did it take for the Almanac to
update?

I found some references to a way to reset the date using the GPSBabel
utility (www.gpsbabel.org), but haven't found the right set of commands,
if such even exist.  That site, by the way, is hard to get through to,
likely due to all of us trying to find solutions.  It did come back
eventually.

This isn't exactly fatal, since the main functions of time (not date),
location, and general navigation all (apparently) still work.  I'll
definitely keep the unit.

Greg  KO6TH