[aprssig] GPS Epoch Rollover Findings

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Fri Apr 26 00:12:32 EDT 2019

I saw this thread at work today, came home and powered up my old Garmin
12.  No luck, checked the AA batteries and they were leaky.  Got all out
except one.  Tried lemon juice to work on the alkaline crust, tapped it
gently, then drilled.  When it finally popped out, I noted that the back
contact inside the GPS was pretty much destroyed, the plastic behind it
was corroded and/or cracked out.  Too bad, I had alot of coordinates
plotted on this old unit -- now it's dead.

Can anyone recommend a half-decent handheld GPS to replace the Garmin 12
LCD series?  I see that some models either want to charge a subscription
for maps, etc. or others (Garmin Rhino) appear way over-priced, though
do include a 5 watt FRS radio.  I already have built-in GPS in my car,
and a cellphone.  So mainly I'm interested in a handheld unit, no
subscriptions (or free lifetime updates) for hiking, camping, and
possibly outside of cell range.

73, KD0KZE / Paul