[aprssig] APRStt (touchtone) lives

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 8 13:04:22 EDT 2019

The way APRS DTMF works is that you have a 4 digit "message" code and then a
10 digit callsign so that it all fits in a DTMF memory and can be sent with
a single key press.  Yet each message is attributed to a callsign or
station.

The 4 digit message code consists of selecting a pre-defined message (1 of
99) and then including a 2 digit "modifier"  as in "Runner 43 is down" is
0743.  I know this will not work as is for large runner numbers >99, but it
does work as is for small events with numbers under 100.  But you get the
point.

All callsigns and station names of 6 characters or less can be accommodated
in the ten callsign digits.  The callsign part of the string is always sent
from pre-loaded DTMF memory after keying in the initial 4 digits.

So think about how we can use this capability.  Remember, almost everything
that has ever been said on ham radio has most likely already been said
before.  We just need the top 99 for any particular event template.

Bob, WB4aPR