[aprssig] APRS: RFI from LED bulbs?

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 16:43:26 EDT 2018

Fun times ahead from Mr Negative here...
..
I have investigated VHF RFI and before retiring, managed a lab  [M]  that was responsible for product validation (performance to specs), RFI measurements, EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) and UL approval.
..
I have an 18 W desk lamp that produces more HF RFI when it is OFF than on, yes, OFF.  It has a lighted-touch-button on-off and needs power to light the button and run the button detect.
--> Switch-mode power supply...

The issue with LED bulbs is not whether a bulb meets Part 15, but that there will be [are] hundreds of them in your neighborhoods and all that noise adds up.

Ten bulbs means the noise can be 10 dB above the legal limit !
It's not that simple, but bad none-the-less.

Part 15 has a limit to the amount of interference each can emit. It is not Zero. Also, that is for ONE bulb in some fixture. If you're close enough to one, it can still cause problems.
..
 With many of them in random fixtures, who knows.  This has been a gloom-n-doom bad omen since CFLs came out since they also used electronic switching to generate the high start and run voltages
In 08-09 a local VHF repeater suddenly had reduce sensitivity for mobiles at the boundaries of the county.  After some weeks of hunting and conferring with the ComEd RFI hunting Field guys, I found it was a bad batch of newly installed lightning arresters in McHenry Illinois. There were 6 on every 5th pole for  DUAL 3-phase, 38 kv (I think) Lines. Real sweet.

 The power lines when modeled as a long-wire antenna showed a really nice lobe that pretty much pointed right at the repeater up the hill west of town.

 They were arcing internally, but had been 100% tested for RFI  !!?!!

I visited the manufacturer's factory and we found that their RFI test setup was faulty... Also, their molding machine was cocking the MOV pucks when the external silicone was molded on (they aren't glass, but look like it).  Then, the factory RFI test station had somehow gone ka-flouie.

IIR, I talked with Ed back then.

SO...
Dozens of these arresters in town were spewing forth, joyfully.
..
Just like our future for LED bulbs... [sad face emoji]
--
 Regards, Steve K9DCI
 Science & Technical Advisor