[aprssig] APRS: RFI from LED bulbs?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Oct 22 09:23:28 EDT 2018

I am hearing reports of RFI from these LED bulbs.  Not just HF, but also
VHF.
If you can make any quantitative assessments of such RFI, please let me
know.

And the amazing thing is that at VHF you will never notice it because RFI
is noise power and it is noise power that keeps a squelch CLOSED.
Manuallly open the squelch and sometimes RFI will show full scale on the S
meter yet not open the squelch.  And on my radios, when the squelch is
closed, the S meter is inactive and shows 0.

Bob Bruninga, WB4APR