[aprssig] A short little APRS story - and sob story

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Thu May 3 18:22:19 EDT 2018

Data is added continually. I have read about speed limits, etc. I don't think I have actually noticed any in my area of New England.

OSM is really a good system and it appears to be mostly public sponsored. The public goes out on mapping expeditions and map their areas. My area is very well covered but hiking trails may not be. That has been my focus as time allows. Government data maybe imported but it must be in the public domain. If a government agency has made their data public then it may be used. Many have put it there as support and this is probably where building outlines are coming from as well as tracing satellite imagery. In the US, I think the initial data was from TIGER.

Using Google or other similar source means is forbidden.

Not trying to be a smart donkey, but Google "talk-us osm".
Don’t click right way on the first link. Take a moment and look at the other results within the first link. There are special area groups (e.g, Massachusetts).

As an aside, if any readers work for an agency that has data and it is in the public domain (or could be put there), please check the list. Consider helping to add it to the overall data set. I don't know the mechanism to make that happen but someone on an OSM list can probably help.

Also, there is at least one APRS application (APRSIS32) that uses the OSM data in the form of tiles.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH