[aprssig] APRS plans for Amsat Phase 4b?

Jess Haas k5lli at jesshaas.com
Sun Jan 14 22:20:16 EST 2018

The idea of a satellite that you can only access by first accessing a
webpage makes me sad.

The multichannel nature of this satellite with every station being able to
receive the full downlink feed does seem to be a good fit for aprs though.
If one channel could be an aprs-is feed, then any stations needing to send
packets could do it on any channel and any station wanting to receive them
could receive the aprs-is feed as well as all uploaded aprs traffic. Any
listening stations could gate to aprs-is. Even if the aprs-is feed went
down or there was none atleast all connected aprs stations would be able to
hear each others traffic, route messages between each other, etc...  APRS
wouldn't need nearly the bandwidth or time allocation for uplinks as many
other uses. If nothing else atleast maybe APRS users could share an uplink
channel.