[aprssig] Fwd: APRS operation with a RT4

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Jan 5 01:13:09 EST 2018

On 1/4/2018 11:01 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> GOt this from CT1EIZ, a Networked GSM radiophone...And it runs APRSdroid for
> APRS..
>
> I'dd like to hear more about how this works for HAMS...

1)   This guy is a spammer, blasting unsolicited advertising to any email
address with a ham call.  I have already received his advertising at 5 of my
email accounts that have some variation of my callsign in their addresses.

2)   This is NOT ham radio - at least in the sense of a RADIO operating in a
ham band.  It's basically a GSM cellphone with push-to-talk capability. ("POC"
in the description refers to "Push-to-talk Over Cellular" similar to the old
Nextel "walkie-talkie phones".    It can push posits into the APRS-IS (not over
ham RF) using an app, like any Android smartphone.    [The GSM protocol for
cellular voice is only used by ATT and T-Mobile in the US.]

It also appears to have VoIP (Voice over IP) over cellular data, and VoLTE
(Voice over 4G/LTE) capabilities, that can connect to "International Radio
Network"; one of the many Internet-based linking services.   This kinda allows
you to play ham radio while burning up expensive cellular data quotas.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF