[aprssig] Google Maps API Change Has "Broken" findu.com

Matthew Chambers mchambers at showmeham.info
Wed Aug 22 01:56:49 EDT 2018

Part of the problem is Google is now charging more for access to their mapping API based on usage, here’s the excerpt from the APRS.fi email list

---SNIP---
Hi,

For some time this morning, Google Maps on aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi/> displayed a pop-up saying "This page can't load Google Maps correctly". The map tiles were dark with "For Development Purposes Only" written on them.

This was because of a configuration accident on my part: the aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi/> profile on Google Cloud console was not properly linked to the correct payments profile which has my credit card attached. That's now fixed and the maps load fine. For a few days (3-5?), starting now.

Due to the volunteer / charitable / non-profit uses in Amateur Radio circles (SAR, disaster relief, etc) aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi/> has had a generous free use limit from Google, even after the pricing went up in 2012. With the recent pricing model changes for Google Maps APIs, the free use quota got lost, because they were not automatically migrated in the transformation. It was a bit uncertain whether it'll stay there or not, but now it's obvious it's gone.

I'm trying to reach out to them and see if it can be reinstated, or if a generous volume discount can be applied. If someone has insider Google contacts who are amateur radio operators, please email me and them in private.

If not, I might be looking at a bill of 4000-5000€ ($4500-6000) per month, which obviously is something that I can't do. The billing has now started, and I got a small credit for the transition & try-out period, which will last for a few days, and I can pay the bill for a few more days after that, but then I'll have to turn it off or quickly migrate away.

To reduce the loads a bit, I'll be disabling the Embedded maps feature right now.

There is a risk that I'll have to replace Google Maps with something, but it'll be a development effort which will take quite some time, and the end result might not be quite as smooth; the Google Maps API has been pretty great.

Remember folks: It's not just about the map graphics - it's the API, and all the software from Google to load the graphics and draw things on top, and make them pan and zoom nicely.

  - Hessu, OH7LZB
---SNIP---

Matthew Chambers, CBT, NR0Q

Wife to Jamie and Father to Mariah and Roxanne
Director - Macon County Office of Emergency Management
Captain / Training Officer - Atlanta Volunteer Fire Department
Public Works Technician - City of Atlanta, Missouri
Caretaker - Amtrak Station La Plata Missouri, Missouri’s Stop for the Southwest Chief
Owner / Technician - M Chambers Radio www.mchambersradio.com
Sports Announcer - True Country KLTI 93.3 FM, 102.7 FM, 106.5 FM and 1560 AM

/ A fanatic is one who can't change his \
| mind and won't change the subject.    |
\ -- Winston Churchill                  /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||