[aprssig] APRS-IS core Servers

Johannes Schmidt_27 at gmx.de
Thu Aug 16 14:48:34 EDT 2018

Hello Everybody,

I am interested in APRS for about two years now, and I am running my own
RxTx-Gate since a year.
The Gateway is of course connected to rotating Tier2 servers.

I collected some information about the APRS-IS for a coming up local
talk recently. If I understand everything correctly
everything should still work fine if no APRS core Server would exist
because the T2hubs are all peered together.
So what are the APRS core servers for? There I found only little
information about.
Could someone tell me what the APRS core servers are needed for?
On the websites of some core servers I saw that some people connect to
them instead of connecting there stations
to Tier2 servers. But I think they could switch to Tier2 servers easily.

Thank you so much for your support

Johannes Schmidt
DO1JKS