[aprssig] Accessible APRS programs?

spam8mybrain spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 15:30:22 EDT 2017

Greetings, all.
I just got an interesting question on the mailing list for my program YAAC. A blind amateur radio operator asked me how to set up my program to work with his screen reader (an assistive technology used by visually impaired people), because nothing was showing up in his screen reader when he ran YAAC.
I've never actually worked on software supporting assistive technologies, although a visually impaired friend did design my rather bland website so it would be easy to read with assistive technology (hence why it is so bland: no excessive decorations and animations to confuse screen readers and the like). So, have any other APRS client program authors (or authors of other ham radio software) done anything explicitly to make their programs more accessible?
This seems like it would be exceptionally difficult for APRS because data comes in asynchronously from dozens of uncoordinated sources, not sequentially from a single source like most other one-to-one or round-robin (voice net) type amateur radio communications.
Any advice welcome.
Andrew, KA2DDO author of YAAC