[aprssig] Are solar charge controllers a safe powere tap?

al wolfe alw.k9si at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 17:06:59 EDT 2017

Andrew,
    Solar controllers are notorious for generating noise. They mostly
use switch-mode control. That said, some are better than others. Your
best bet would be to measure the noise at the controller and at the
battery terminals with an oscilloscope or lacking that, a sensitive AC
voltmeter. Much of the noise can be filtered out with LC networks in
the power line to the radio. Other radiated noise is going to be
difficult to deal with.

    Generally, getting power at the battery works the best as the
battery is usually bonded to the trailer frame near the battery. Also,
the battery typically has the lowest impedance to noise of any part of
the electrical system. Often the battery charging system is not
directly bonded to the frame and relies on the negative lead to the
battery for grounding.

    The bottom line is that all bets are off as every situation is
different. You will need to try various grounding, bonding, shielding,
and filtering until the noise is at a livable level.

    Good luck with this.

Al, k9si