[aprssig] Ham Radio MOBILE Traveler PL-FIND device?

John D. Hays john at hays.org
Wed Nov 29 12:35:49 EST 2017

I think a much better approach would be to use an improved beacon type.
The message should contain:

LAT/LONG (Approximate or Actual)
Output Freq:  Mhz. with a minimum scale of up to 5 digits after the decimal
point (e.g.  440.00625)
Input Freq; Mhz. with a minimum scale of up to 5 digits after the decimal
point (e.g.  440.00625)
Mode(s):  FM, NFM, D-STAR, DMR, Fusion, CODEC2, etc.
Input signalling:  CTCSS: 123.0, DCS: 44, Color: 1, ...
Callsign:  W1AW  or "W1AW   C", ...
Comment: Other information

With this information sent both on the air and to APRS-IS, we could have a
database of repeater stations that could be preloaded into a device (eg. a
Raspberry Pi) and could be updated  with off air beacons using an RTL-SDR
or similar receiver.  With a GPS, a small display could provide all the
details of nearby repeaters and for radios with computer controlled
programming, the radio could be tuned to frequency and other operating
parameters by touch selection.

The RTL-SDR could also look for active repeaters (and simplex) nearby and
provide similar programming.

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:09 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> APRSSIG thoughts about Mobile TRAVEL operations.

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   <http://k7ve.org/blog>  <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>