[aprssig] Baofeng radio for igate use (87.3% packets suck)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 9 12:33:29 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>> Considering that 90% of the packets being transmitted on the air are
>> not properly set for deviation, level, emphasis, skew, clipping, and
>> overdrive,

> data please.
> 87.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I agree!  So I should have said that 87.3% of packet signals on the air
(from TNC's just connected randomly to radios) probably suck.  I Just look
at signals on the air with a scope.

But the clue to the huge variety of can be simply heard by ear.  Most
packets simply don’t sound the same or pure.

Of course, the hard part of that is that everything one sees on a scope is
potentially also skewed by the audio characteristics of ones own receiver
used to drive the scope.

When I am actually setting a radio/TNC combo, I usually decide what a proper
signal should look like by taking a manufactured APRS/TNC/Intergrated radio
and use it as the benchmark to see how my test receiver and scope display
such a signal.

But as the link says, anything that ends up with a lower level high tone
simply fails in most TNC's.

Bob