[aprssig] Blog post: Important hints to APRS igate developers

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue May 9 05:51:56 EDT 2017

Hi,

Sorry for the repeated spam about this document. It seems like it's still
easy to find these bugs (last night I filed tickets for 3 on github).

Last night I wrote a little blog post to highlight the issue of new igate
implementations having old bugs:

http://blog.aprs.fi/2017/05/important-hints-to-igate-developers.html

The technical beef is in the hints document:

https://github.com/hessu/aprsc/blob/master/doc/IGATE-HINTS.md

If you're writing an igate, or if you are testing a new igate made by someone
else, please check that it doesn't have these bugs. Thanks!

If you're not writing an igate, but know a little C or Python, please grab
one of the new open source igate apps and do a little code review, and try
to find one of these bugs. They're surprisingly common and easy to spot.
Fixing might be really easy too, so you can submit a Pull Request and get
a warm, fuzzy feeling after helping the APRS network become a better place
for packets to roam in.

   - Hessu, OH7LZB