[aprssig] Baofeng radio for igate use

Peter Laws N5UWY n5uwy at arrl.net
Thu May 4 12:04:29 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:18 AM, Jess Haas <km6gvw at jesshaas.com> wrote:
> Well it turns out that these radios have a serious lack of filtering that
> raises the noise floor significantly when used in an urban environment.

People that join our club for the first time get a free Baofeng (not
when you renew, Harold, just like we told you last year).  It gets
them on the air, which is what we want, but I think we're pretty clear
that this is a $35 radio and not an I/K/Y or even A.

BTW, one of our members just discovered that the batteries on two of
his different Baofeng models *look* the same and have the same ability
to fit into the charging slots of each others' chargers, but have the
polarity tabs reversed.  Oops.  As I said to him and others "There are
low-margin radios, and then their are Baofengs!".  Caveat Emptor!