[aprssig] Barebones "Data Radio"

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:21:42 EST 2017

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Brett Friermood
<brett.friermood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info Jason. I remember the information I found was somewhat
> limited, so it's nice to hear of some real-world experience. I'm guessing
> those issues may have contributed to them being pulled.

I think they got discontinued by the manufacturer, but I may be
misremembering that.

I wouldn't hesitate to use one if the price was right and it fit my application.

High altitude balloon flights can be rather unforgiving environments.
You basically pull a vacuum on it, subject it to -40C or lower
temperatures, then return it to ground temperature and humidity.  If
you happen to pass through humid air on the way back down, you're
sucking warm moist air across frozen hardware and practically forcing
maximum condensation.  We've had cases where we poured water out of
payload enclosures due to this effect. If this happens to a PCB with
sub-optimal cleaning and any sort of activated or corrosive flux, the
results are unfortunate.

> Are you running 9600bps with the HT's?

Nope, we stuck with 1200 baud for tracking on those projects.

> There is also some experimenting I'd like to do with the higher data rates of the Direwolf modem.

I thought there was a UHF model, once upon a time? that could be
useful for even higher data rates.

-Jason
kg4wsv