[aprssig] The TS-590 Family Resources Page has moved

Ian_Wade_G3NRW g3nrw-radio at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 1 03:41:53 EST 2017

The TS-590 Family Resources Page has moved

Last summer I traded in my 5-year old TS-590S for an Icom IC-7300.
Last Friday I traded in the IC-7300 for a brand new TS-590SG.

There was nothing inherently wrong with the IC-7300 -- in many ways
having everything in one box at a very low price filled my then need to
declutter the shack, and it is possibly the best choice as an
entry-level rig for people who haven't used an SDR before.

But I missed the large SDR display I used with the TS-590S (the IC-7300
color display is very good, but tiny and cluttered). I missed the
one-press buttons on the TS-590 panel (the IC-7300 has basically similar
functions, but many settings require multiple menu selections). I missed
the simple ways of remoteing the TS-590 (you have to buy special
software for the IC-7300). And Icom's CAT programming is unbelievably
opaque!

Above all, the IC-7300 is basically a "closed" system. Everything you
might need is inside the box, but you can't easily get at it. The TS-590
on the other hand is wide open to all kinds of easy-to-implement
hardware and software innovations.

Sure enough, people warned me about these things before I bought the
IC-7300, but I had to try it. I'm cured now. The new TS-590SG is like a
breath of fresh air -- I plugged in all the old cables I made up five
years ago to connect the rig to the PC and the SDR-IQ, and inside a half
hour I was cooking on gas!

The point, though, about this message is that last summer, thinking I
would never buy another TS-590, I handed over the TS-590 Family
Resources Page to Barry, ZS2EZ. Then, when I realized what was going to
happen, I went back to Barry, cap in hand, and asked him if I could
"have my site back". He graciously agreed. It goes without saying that I
very much appreciate Barry's keeping the flag flying in the interim.
Thank you sir!

So I am now pleased to announce that the TS-590 Family Resources Page is
relocated to:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.g3nrw.net/TS-590
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you haven't seen it before, please take a look, and let me know what
else you would like to see there.

FYI, www.g3nrw.net also hosts:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** Other Resources Pages (AIM4170 Antenna Analyzer, Wouxun KG-UV950PL)
** Band Utilization Charts (30m, UK 60m, 160m)
** The APRS v1.01 Specification
** A PDF file of the whole of my book "NOSintro -- TCP/IP over Packet
Radio",
      covering the configuration of the KA9Q Network Operating System (the
      forerunner of JNOS).

--
73
Ian, G3NRW