[aprssig] Quick APRS hardware survey (APRS Hotspot)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 15:14:13 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> Does this already exist?
>
> A Raspberry Pi WiFi

I like Pis well enough, but there's no comparison to the reliability
of a well done purpose-built system.

I've installed one to monitor a UPS in a closet (enterprise
environment, not at home) not only because I need to monitor the UPS,
but because I want to see if the pi is enterprise-useful, and a pi
would save me several hundred $$ getting this UPS on ethernet.

Due to the SD card, if you want an install-and-forget system the first
thing you have to do is make a read-only system out of it.

The pi needs a reliable external power supply.

The pi's wifi is not as reliable as it could be (this may well be a
linux problem more than a pi problem).  If wifi is a hard requirement,
it isn't enterprise-ready.

If we're talking about something to go on a mountain top digi or a
repeater rack or even an inconveniently located igate in the attic
i'll skip the pi-kludge, please pass the OpenTracker4.

-Jason
kg4wsv