[aprssig] symbols for bike events?

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 00:12:48 EDT 2017

Just finished supporting a bicycle ride last weekend. A key point on your
issue arose. We had a map of the event with rest stops with a number
designating each one. We used that as a basis for tactical callsigns of
Stop 2, Stop 4, Stop 6, etc. Turns out the event organizers also published
a map they handed out to volunteers and riders. The stops on their map were
designated by letter, Stop A, Stop C, Stop D, etc. Fortunately, one of the
radio operators had copies of both maps and were able to provide cross
referencing as needed. However, it did make for some awkward and confusing
moments.

It is very important to coordinate with event organizers and get everybody
on the same page with common location designators and be sure the event is
properly covered. Be sure all key players are covered with communications.
For our event, the organizers never mentioned the SAG Wagon to our
coordinator. The SAG is a vital component of any organized bicycle ride and
absolutely needs communications. Fortunately, we found out in time to get
additional manpower to provide comms for the SAG.

Michael WA7SKG