[aprssig] Future

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:04:21 EDT 2017

>> Do u think aprs will evolve past 1200 ?

> I doubt it.  We've been talking about 9600 for a decade or more and you see
> where we are.

Here in Western Washington a small group of us has been using
primarily 9600 baud APRS  for something like 12 years.   With the
Kenwood radios having it as an alternate setting it's pretty much plug
and play.  A couple digi's and a couple iGates is all it takes to make
an alternate APRS system with lots of bandwidth to experiment and
grow.

Setting up a non-Kenwood radio for 9600 baud packet is still a bit of
a heroic challenge but with some of the new products soon to hit
market that may open up things even more.

73
Bill, WA7NWP