[aprssig] Excess Tx I-gating

spam8mybrain spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 10:00:58 EDT 2017

Greetings, all.
Some time ago, there was a thread discussing what a Tx I-gate should and should not forward to RF. The aprs-is.net website clearly documents the minimum allowed and prohibited traffic, but does not say anything about optional forwarding.
What do other I-gating applications do to control extra I-gate-operator-approved forwarded traffic, and how do you let the control operator specify what extra is allowed?
The reason I ask is that I've gotten some questions about my application YAAC, regarding why it isn't forwarding geographically local Internet-only stations to RF. YAAC presently only supports the minimum forwarding (Internet traffic explicitly addressed to RF-local stations, and one subsequent position report from those specific Internet stations). I'm trying to figure out how to sanely and safely allow operators to specify additional traffic so they can't accidentally specify dumping the entire APRS-IS feed to RF.
Any suggestions or descriptions on how other I-gates do it would be welcome.
Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDOauthor of YAAC