[aprssig] FW: When did APRS start ? (and First Football Run)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 20 18:00:06 EDT 2017

From: Boyd Prestwood K5YKG

APRS was first released in 1992 and you, Bob, called me when I lived in SNJ
to assist with the Army-Navy football run in November, 1993. I lined up lots
of stations to act as digis along the route from the Naval Academy, MD to
Giants stadium in the Meadowlands, NNJ since JFK stadium in Philadelphia had
been condemned.

We also used some HF. You congratulated us to get position reports back to
the big screen at the Academy's mess hall so cadets could follow the action.
You had some local QRM on VHF. We were all up most of the night and had a
ball.  We coordinated on UHF repeaters up and down the NJ Turnpike. After it
was all over, all those stations who acted as digis bombarded me with
questions about how to get your software 'cause they wanted to see what was
going on, not just act as digis.

I introduced APRS to the SNJ, NNJ, NYLI and EPA sections. At that time, my
call was W2HOB and I was the SEC of the ARRL SNJ-ARES. It was a good run for
28 years. Now retired from NJ Bell/Bell Atlantic/Verizon, you will remember
K5YKG living just outside the Houston, TX city limits!

73 es fond memories de
Boyd Prestwood, K5YKG