[aprssig] Standardized format of WX data in APRS?

spam8mybrain spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 16:53:16 EST 2017

Regarding YAAC, it understands all three of the proprietary PeetBros formats, but does not transmit them. Rather, it converts them to APRS-standard format and appends them to the beacon message (if the station symbol code is the _ character), or transmits a positionless weather message immediately after the position beacon message if the symbol code is not the _ character. This is because weather data is only understood in a position report if the symbol code states this is a weather station; otherwise, it is ignored by most APRS consumers.
YAAC also supports the WXNOW.TXT file interface available with the software for other brands of weather stations. This is translated as described above for transmitting locally originated weather reports.
I can't speak for other software authors as to what they support.
Andrew, KA2DDOauthor of YAAC