[aprssig] Standardized format of WX data in APRS?

Miroslav Skoric skoric at uns.ac.rs
Thu Feb 16 15:21:10 EST 2017

On 02/13/2017 04:54 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Since PeteBros changed their Utilimiters to output directly into the APRS
> format more than a decade ago, I wonder if there are any of the original
> such raw packets on the air.   If not, I would propose deprecating those
> from the standard?

For the sake of 'legacy' and backward compatibility, I would suggest to
keep it there. Btw, is/was that 'original raw packet' used only by that
PeetBros make, or the other AWS producers used the same in the past?

> APRS was always intended to serve the mobile operator (not the shack-potato
> sitting in his shack with full internet access to all possible weather
> services instantly)... hence the argument remains for me.  The incomplete WX
> format is an anathema to me <wink>  ;-)  Bob

I need your opinions: After having some tests with basic APRS in a fixed
place (at a home desktop machine), and in a dislocated place (with a
laptop in a park or at work), I think about testing some AWS. I suppose
that at home I do not need any GPS data to be included within the WX
data since the home is not moving. On the other side, observing that WX
data when I am portable somewhere 'in the field' would be useful. On the
other side, it would be also interesting to compare 'fixed WX' readings
with some 'portable WX' readings in the field, provided some handheld
AWS is used outdoors. Any experience with portable AWSs?

Misko YT7MPB