[aprssig] APRS for drone

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 11:33:33 EDT 2017

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Andrew Rich <vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a medium sized drone a dji inspire 1
>
> I am looking for a tracker that has gps and in the order of 300 mw

Check out the Big Red Bee rocket trackers:

http://www.bigredbee.com/

also, do some (a lot) of ground testing.  I've got some broken parts
and a repaired airframe left over from a crash due to cheap consumer
electronics on the command and control being extremely intolerant of
some 900MHz spread spectrum (at 1W, IIRC) telemetry that was bolted
onto the aircraft.

The 2.4GHz COTS receiver interpreted the 900MHz transmission as "full
power to the throttle" for about half a second, then dropped throttle
back to zero. It was high enough in the air to break the carbon fiber
airframe when it hit the concrete.

While investigating the incident, I found that a 5W HT keyed up close
by would cause the ardupilot to think the horizon had tilted 30
degrees, so the COTS RC receiver wasn't the only thing with problems.

-Jason
kg4wsv