[aprssig] THD74 first impressions

Andrew Rich vk4tec at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 10 07:51:13 EDT 2017

Hello

I recently purchased a Kenwood THD74A with the intent of running it as a
satgate and also do some connected packet as well.

I saw it only had KISS, yeah ok.

I saw it could do kiss on USB or Bluetooth.

I tried to get the most popular and basic program ui-view to talk to the HT
, no joy

Neither on windows 10 via blue tooth or USB did I get a connection.

I then worked out that you can output received packets via the USB, ok and
it is also mixed in with radio messages about the squelch.

So I had APRS RX only packets mixed in with Radio command messages.

Sort of what I wanted.

I tried KISS with UI-VIEW UI-VIEW just hangs

So I have now sold my nice shiny new THD74A because Kenwood missed the mark
with a simple usable TNC with a command prompt.

I have had aTHD72 and that had a workable TNC

What has kenwood done ?

It works great stand alone but falls down when you try and connect it to a
PC

Andrew