[aprssig] Fwd: Cleaning up the Global APRS Satellite ground station network?- New Symbol

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 18:48:32 EDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> HAVE authors followed this?  Are those dozen original alternate symbols
> now fully depricated so we can move on to use some of the new available
> symbl space.

Considering that both the APRS.org symbols page (
http://www.aprs.org/symbols.html) and Hessu's icon set (
https://github.com/hessu/aprs-symbols) show the deprecated symbols as their
past applications and not as the AVAIL black&red cross, I would say the
answer is no, developers have not made an effort to deprecate these
symbols. Should we make an effort to start purging those past uses for
these symbols from application indexes and replacing them with the
black&red AVAIL cross? Then there would at least be some kind of
user-visible indication that they should have stopped using these symbols a
decade ago.

Of course, I have words about why in the world would we need eight new
overlays for sat-gates, but all of my past recommendations about symbols
have been ignored, so I probably shouldn't bother. (Psst - just use 'S&'
for "Sat-Gate" ) Have we really not had an established convention for
145.825MHz sat-gate symbols? I thought they were already using '/`' (Dish
Antenna); what's wrong with that?

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/