[aprssig] X-APRS: a new protocol in APRSdroid

Matthew Chambers mchambers at showmeham.info
Sat Apr 1 10:48:34 EDT 2017

I'm running APRSDroid 1.3.0 and I don't plan to allow it to update without
a way to keep running legacy APRS. The developer of the APRS client I use
at my home station has no plans to change his software and I need for my
mobile app to stay compatible. I like the adage, if it ain't broke don't
fix it.

Matthew Chambers, CBT, NR0Q

On Apr 1, 2017 9:15 AM, "Steve Dimse" <steve at dimse.com> wrote:

Just noticed this from the web site:

> Implementation note: In legacy APRS, the leading < character in the
payload might be interpreted as a "Station Capabilities" Data Type
Identifier. Legacy clients MUST NOT attempt to interpret APRS packets with
a to-call of XAPRS.

If you are going to use the current APRS-IS you CANNOT make demands on
legacy applications. If you need to do something on the APRS-IS that is
incompatible with current implementations you must use the User Defined
Packet type. To do otherwise would be the worst kind of QRM on a
long-standing and successful Amateur Radio system.

Steve K4HG