[aprssig] UHF APRS

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 12:39:00 EDT 2016

>>  I am curious if any progress has been
>> made on coming up with an APRS UHF frequency? The reason why I am asking is
>> because I came across the HC-12 module:

> Even if there were a standard 70cm APRS frequency, it is unlikely that
> this radio would be compatible.  The 70cm APRS that would be common
> use would likely involve 9600 baud FSK (I think some folks in the
> northwestern US have a network).
>
> On the other hand, if you have a specific need and these radio modules
> meet that need, there's no reason you cannot build your own network
> and use them to transmit APRS packets.  I'm doing exactly that with
> some 900MHz xbee radios.

Right.  The actual frequency doesn't matter.  An APRS cell can be set
up on any frequency as long as you have one iGate linking it to the
APRS-IS. Ideally beacon the existance of that system on 144.39 so
others know where to join the fun.

A second iGate for backup and a couple core digipeaters make it into a
real useful system.

73
Bill, WA7NWP