[aprssig] [nwaprs] KD7SUG-9's Station Causing Messages not Addressed to her to be rejected and go undeliverable.

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 19:10:40 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Jerry <n7yge at hctc.com> wrote:

> If KD7SUG-9 is a member of this sig, please contact Jerry N7YGE at n7yge at q.com so we can find out what needs to get fixed.  I am guessing it is something in a filter that is set wrong.  I could not find any email address for this person.

This is really interesting. It appears to be a standard Kenwood
TM-D710. The D710 starts rejecting messages when its inbox is full
(100 messages). This is proper behavior and is the purpose of the
reject feature in the APRS protocol.

Where it starts going wrong is when the TM-D710 starts rejecting
messages that aren't addressed to it. How does this happen? The
TM-D710 has a feature called Group Filtering (menu 623) that will
configure it to accept messages for aliases other than its own
callsign. The defaults are "ALL,QST,CW,KWD". Another valid value here
is *. What does * do? It's a wildcard! It sets the TM-D710 to accept
any message that it receives. This quickly fills the inbox and then it
starts sending rej for all messages!

I just reproduced it here:
https://goo.gl/photos/aeYG54wbY8ocfGvK8
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8174/rej.png

As far as I'm concerned, this is a bug in the TM-D710 firmware. It's
certainly bad behavior to reject messages addressed to others.

Tom KD7LXL