[aprssig] FEMA - APRS Blackout data wanted...

Brian Webster info at wirelessmapping.com
Sat Sep 10 08:37:17 EDT 2016

I like this idea.

Would you want to somehow figure out which stations have more than one I-gate available (and preferably with different internet providers)? The blackout you may be trying to illustrate could be showing an i-gate outage or an internet outage if you are not trying to look at the data strictly off air.

I would think though that most APRS stations have some sort of battery power that would delay or mask any blackout areas.

One idea for your display if this does seem to illustrate what you want; in the GIS/mapping software world we can create a polygon using the encompassing points. For your purposes this would more quickly illustrate the possible area of issue. You might also set a parameter of a certain number of points to be required before drawing the polygon. This would help minimize anomaly data.

Thank You,

Brian N2KGC