[aprssig] FEMA- Flood gauges

Brian Webster info at wirelessmapping.com
Sat Sep 10 08:45:38 EDT 2016

I have spoken with hydrologist from the NWS on this topic in the past. To make the data more valuable to them it would be best to place these devices in locations where they have other historical data. This can be where there are or have been the visual stream gauge/level sticks/posts or other measurement stations. The reason he mentioned this is so that they can use this new data against their modeling software.

If we were to place devices like this, when possible it would be good to have them at known elevation locations. Bridges with benchmarks or that have been surveyed for good elevation values are good candidates. That really helps the hydrologists when they know the true elevation of the water levels.

Thank You,

Brian N2KGC