[aprssig] [wl2kemcomm] Help for First Responders

spam8mybrain spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 16:10:28 EDT 2016

The problem here is that the first responder or law enforcement officer would have access to the amateur radio net through their mutual office of emergency management (however that is organized in any given jurisdiction), but how would the families (basically, random citizens) get access to the hams to have their status reported? Unless the families have checked into an official shelter (with an assigned radio operator), they wouldn't even know where to find a ham radio operator, or know that we hams can do that kind of reporting (assuming it's not a HIPPA violation these days to report their status).
Now, if we could encourage the families to have at least one ham in the family (who isn't the first responder), then that ham could check into the nets, report their status, and get updates to their loved ones on the front lines.
Perhaps we should be starting an education campaign in the first responder community to get their families to get involved in ham radio, and cover basic EmComm communications for the family members. Imagine the resource pool we could have, with one ham backing up each first responder on the home front! The question is, how do we wean them off cellphone dependency (since only the most extreme emergencies will bring down the cellphone networks)?
Andrew, KA2DDO