[aprssig] APRS SPEC: Wind Speed confusion

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:46:59 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Greg Trasuk <trasukg at trasuk.com> wrote:

> Unless there’s a compelling reason otherwise, I’d standardize on knots,

I'd say the compelling reason is that the weather data packet format on
page 64 of APRS 1.0.1 says mph, so it's likely that the majority of
implementations working off the spec already use mph.

Knots is currently used for the Wind Direction and Wind Speed data
extension and the storm data report. I think the distinction of where we
use MPH vs Knots is pretty clear, but accepting Bob's premise:
* We can't change the Wind Direction/Speed extension to mph since it's
indistinguishable from the Course and Speed extension. Where is this
extension even used? I'd vote for deprecating it.
* I'd be ok changing the Storm Data report to MPH, but I live in California
so my indifference is high on this one.

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/