[aprssig] APRS-WSPR APRS from anywhere!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Oct 9 15:20:31 EDT 2016

The more I think about it the more I get excited about building up an
APRS-WSPR Gateway system.  With the 27 dB signal processing gain of WSPR,
then a 1W transmitter is the same as 1000 watts.  And for receive, since
APRS can have HF receivers everywhere, then this can really expand the
usefulness of APRS anywhere in the world including on the fringes of our
existing network.

QST in September showed the $29 TAPR WSPR daughter board that plugs onto a
Rasberry pi and although it is only a 100 millliwatt transmitter, with
enough WSPRgates, that should not be a problem.  But adding a 1W PA will
always help!

I already have come up with a compression technique that can improve on the
existing gridsquare (60x120miles) down to (18x12miles) and down to 3 miles
or nearly a half mile for 5 and 4 letter calls.

see http://aprs.org/aprs-wspr.html

Lets get those WSPR boards on the air!

Bob, WB4APR