[aprssig] Maximum APRS Packet Lengths

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Nov 29 09:41:56 EST 2016

If you've ever experimented with actual ARPS messaging over the 2m
frequency anywhere except sitting in the driveway next to the IGate's
tower, you'd realize that longer messages and/or APRS packets in general
is not such a good idea. Remember, there's no error correction in AX.25,
only an error-detecting checksum.  This means that even a single bit hit
trashes the entire packet.  Longer in this case, is decidedly not better.

And when you throw digipeats into the mix, the stack against longer
packets makes even more sense.

This is why APRSISCE/32 allows the entry of longer messages to send, but
internally word-wraps them to fit within the max message limit.  They
are then queued to send back-to-back, but only as acks are recevied
providing a throttle of sorts.  You might have to be quick to read the
entire multi-line message as it is received on an APRS radio's small
screen, but it works.

As for multi-byte characters, I'm not at all sure any more if I handle
splitting those properly/safely or if I just split bytes. I'll confess
that I don't even know enough about them to even formulate and execute a
test.