[aprssig] central repository

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Nov 24 19:13:15 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 02:33:23PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I talked to Scott, and he put info.aprs.net back up. I'd propose that we
> standardize on info.aprs.net as the central venue and anyone interested
> help build that into what you guys want.

Unless Scott has changed the configuration when putting info.aprs.net back
on the air, you'll probably also want to talk to him about adding some more
sysadmin users.

The site was subjected to some extreme vandalism in its prior life (hundreds
of spam pages being created by bot-created accounts), and even a CAPTCHA
failed to stem the flow.  As a result the ability to create a new account was
restricted to sysadmins, and if anyone wanted an account so they could edit
pages, they had contact a sysadmin to get access.  I was one of those
sysadmins, and I see I am still listed on the site as belonging to the
administrator and bureaucrat groups.  So I suppose the site is still as it
was prior to its unfortunate first demise.

The downside to this configuration is the activation energy required to
obtain edit rights.  The upside, of course, is that it is much more
difficult for bots to trash it as they had been prior to the change.

If this is going to have a resurgence in interest in info.aprs.net (as well
there should be), it might be good to have a few more people in the admin
group.