[aprssig] IGATE message routing bug?

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 03:00:14 EST 2016

"​
Is it the failure of some local IGates or is it some kind of filtering
issue in the APRS-IS.

Where do we fix this?"

Bob,
I wish I didn't have to do this:

It is in the IGate design document http://www.aprs-is.net/IGateDetails.aspx
<Gating Criteria>

The following is the basic criteria for what an IGate gates to/from RF.

Gate message packets and associated posits to RF if all of the following
are true:

   1. the receiving station has been heard within range within a predefined
   time period (range defined as digi hops, *distance*, or both).

</Gating Criteria>
but don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Folks, I am seeing a real issue ({on this list} and {in the documents we
depend on}) with ambiguous language adding confusion to discussions about
an already complicated system.

This is not hit-and-run criticism, I intend to make some suggestions under
a different topic. I do intend to disrupt the "but we've always done it
this way" thinking, however.

Also, please be patient.

73,

Jim Alles