[aprssig] WIDE and specific call in path

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat May 14 18:02:23 EDT 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 08:49:54PM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <aprssig at tapr.org> flavor, containing:
> Today I was trying to route my packets through a specific digi by setting
> my path on my mobile to WIDE1-1,JOPLIN - thinking that it would either be
> picked up by a fill-in and then JOPLIN, or JOPLIN would hear it first and
> repeat it due to responding to the WIDE1-1. I only heard a repeat from the
> fill-in, not when I was close to JOPLIN and out of range of the fill-in. Do
> paths not work the way I  am thinking, or do I have JOPLIN misconfigured in
> some way? Or is JOPLIN ignoring it because it's own call is already in the
> path?

You're specifying a two-hop path, with JOPLIN as the second hop.  Paths don't
work the way you think they do.

Digis in paths are used in order, digis don't digipeat something unless their
call is the next  unused path in the packet (unless that specific digi
supports "preemptive digipeating", and few do).

So JOPLIN won't digipeat it unless it, too, answers to WIDE1-1, OR a WIDE
digi hears it first -- at which point JOPLIN will do the second hop.