[aprssig] Dirty signals vs. hardware TNCs

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:54:23 EDT 2016

Might be a good place to plug a new Wiki page. Explains how to set
deviation of a 1200-baud TNC/Radio combo using a $20 RTL dongle.

http://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Set_Deviation_via_RTL

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM, John Langner via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org>
wrote:

> Suggested reading on the subject.
>

> Sometimes it's a little mystifying why an APRS / AX.25 Packet TNC will
> decode some signals and not others. A weak signal, buried in static, might
> be fine while a nice strong clean sounding signal is not decoded. Here we
> will take a brief look at what could cause this perplexing situation and a
> couple things that can be done about it.
>

> https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/raw/master/doc/A-Better-APRS-Packet-Demodulator-Part-1-1200-baud.pdf
>

> Here, we take a closer look at some of the frames on the TNC Test CD in
> hopes of gaining some insights into why some are easily decoded and others
> are more difficult. There are a lot of ugly signals out there. Many can be
> improved by decreasing the transmit volume. Others are just plain weird and
> you have to wonder how they are being generated.
>

> https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/raw/master/doc/A-Closer-Look-at-the-WA8LMF-TNC-Test-CD.pdf

Curt, WE7U
http://wetnet.net/~we7u
http://www.sarguydigital.com