[aprssig] Impossible to be digi+something else?

spam8mybrain spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 09:44:33 EDT 2016

I was re-reading some of the old postings about digipeating, where they state that digipeaters (only) should be "impolite" and use a DWAIT of zero to avoid channel clutter. This would seem to imply that no station can be a digipeater and something else (weather station, etc.) unless the full functionality is built into the TNC, because there is no way for an external application to tell a KISS TNC on a packet-by-packet basis which packets are DWAIT 0 and which are to have normal competition for airtime. Either the digi would be "polite" and cause additional airwaves clutter, or the non-digi functionality would be "impolite" and dominate the channel.
So, do any of the "soft" TNCs (AGWPE, DireWolf, etc.) have the ability to specify priority (DWAIT=0) transmission on a per-packet basis? How does this jive with the proposed sat-gate mode?
I'm curious because I'm doing some research on an idea for improved digipeating, and it requires using an external program with a KISS TNC. As such, I'd like to be able to selectively decide whether my station is "polite" or "impolite" on a per-packet basis (assuming impoliteness is still preferred digipeater behavior).
Any feedback would be welcome.
Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO