[aprssig] The East will Rise again! (at 9600?)

Brian D Heaton ky9k-lists at ky9k.org
Thu May 5 13:59:25 EDT 2016

Why KPC9612s and 2M?

Commercial TNC/Node combos (KPC9612 and others) - Small computers are
available which can provide all the needed/desired functions and
interface to multiple TNCs or sound interfaces. Recent testing shows
that QPSK/4800 is quite reliable via a sound interface to a radio with a
9600 data port. 9600 is just a step up the chain from that. I expect
xPSK (likely OQPSK or 8PSK) rates of around 19200 are quite achievable.
You can still use KPC9612s if sticking to 9600.

Many (I will guess "the vast majority") of EOCs already have issues with
desense from multiple radios on 2M. If the supporting rationale that may
make more sites available is EMCOMM support, I would put the backbone
links on either 1.25M or 70cm with a preference for 1.25M. I would keep
the backbone frequency clear of users to avoid additional congestion and
hidden transmitters. Users could access on 2M/1.25M/70cm (whichever band
the backbone link(s) aren't running on) at either 1200 or 9600. Why kill
performance of an engineered and well adjusted backbone link/network
with user stations?

73-KY9K/Brian