[aprssig] APRS on D710

TomK w5lon at cox.net
Fri Mar 11 13:40:31 EST 2016

On 3/11/2016 9:38 AM, Randy Love wrote:
> You're making it ok according to this:
>
> http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW5LON-6&timerange=3600&tail=3600
> <http://aprs.fi/#%21call=a%2FW5LON-6&timerange=3600&tail=3600>
>
> and the packet look good too, according to this:
> http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=W5LON-6
>

> 73,
> Randy
> WF5X
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Randy Love <rlove31 at gmail.com
> <mailto:rlove31 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Those 'my position' on the screen meant that it received your
>     position packet after it was repeated by two digipeaters.
>
>     The issue isn't that you aren't transmitting out, it's that your
>     packets aren't making it to an igate.
>
>     Did you try looking on aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi> for your updates?
>     Also, aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi> will show you what's in your area
>     that you may be hitting.
>
>     Also, do you have your GPS set up? I'm not clear on that point, so
>     I'm asking. Sorry if you stated such before and I just didn't notice.
>
>     Randy
>     WF5X
>

>     On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM, TomK via aprssig
>     <aprssig at tapr.org <mailto:aprssig at tapr.org>> wrote:
>
>         On 3/11/2016 3:54 AM, TomK via aprssig wrote:
>>         On 3/10/2016 5:19 PM, lloyd mitchell via aprssig wrote:
>>>         May not matter but the path I use is WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
>>>
>>>         Ko4L lloyd
>>>
>>>         On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Bob Stephens via aprssig
>>>         <aprssig at tapr.org <mailto:aprssig at tapr.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             I think if you have the Beacon set to manual you have to
>>>             use the BCON key on the
>>>
>>         front panel to cause a beacon to be transmitted. You need
>>         either AUTO or Smartbeaconing.
>>>

>>>             Bob AF9W
>>>
>>         Lloyd,
>>
>>         WIDE2-2 is the recommended path in my area.
>>
>>         Bob,
>>
>>         I'll change my Beacon setting to AUTO and let you know if
>>         you've put your finger on the problem.
>>
>>         Thanks to you both for your replies.
>>
>>         TomK  W5LON

>         Bob,
>
>         I changed my Beacon setting to AUTO and here's what happened:
>         The D-710 screen showed "my position" twice, after I had the rig
>         turned on for a little over two minutes.
>         I went into my home and I brought up "findu". It reported "No
>         position report for W5LON has been heard in the last 10 days".
>
>         This response was puzzeling as I had not seen "my position"
>         shown on the screen of my D-710 prior to changing changing my
>         Beacon setting to AUTO.
>
>         TomK

Randy,

Thank you for the URLs.  I've always used "findu" in the past but now
I'll begin
using the New (to me) URL that you've used to confirm my position.
I'll also reduce the time between transmissions now that my testing seems
to be complete. (Perhaps I'll begin testing the Smartbeaconing that Bob
suggested.)
Randy and Bob, you two have really been a great help.  Thank you again.

73 de TomK
W5LON