[aprssig] NMEA tracker

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Jul 22 07:51:33 EDT 2016

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 1:40 PM, Scott Miller via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
>
> There was no reason to build an NMEA tracker back when I made the first OpenTracker, and it had 192 bytes of RAM and 8k of flash.

Nor before in 1999 when TAPR released the Pic-E. That fit everything into 1k flash and 68 bytes RAM. I was on the team, but the tracker code was written by John Hansen W2FS. My role was the less often used weather code that allowed it to be put between a Peet weather station and a radio. The tracker was tougher because of the need to compress the data to the Mic-E format.

> ...but it feels good to rip all that ugly stuff out.

Yea, but there was a certain elegance to shoehorning that youngsters who never saved a byte in their life won't know. Sounds like maybe even you have forgotten ;-) Or maybe I've just forgotten the pain that went with it...

But I digress, we are supposed to be encouraging Andrew, not rolling our own out and measuring!

Steve K4HG