[aprssig] [aprsfi] VK4TEC pushing ADS-B data to APRS-IS

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 20 13:13:32 EDT 2016

> On Jul 20, 2016, at 9:42 AM, Heikki Hannikainen via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
>
> It seems like Andrew VK4TEC has started to gateway ADS-B data to the APRS-IS.
>
> http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=300&call=VK4TEC*&view=normal
>
> I do not think that this is a great idea - the APRS-IS is supposed to be a network for amateur radio communications, and quite a lot of people depend on it being just that.

I'll not be so kind. It was an absolutely idiotic idea.

I was just about to start tracking down something I saw in my monitoring graphs when I saw this thread. It represented roughly a 1/3 increase in traffic on the APRS IS, though it seems to have stopped now. You can get a good idea of how much data he was sending before shutting it down by this page at findU, showing the last 200 packets with timestamps, he was sending dozens a second, for hours!

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=vk4tec-12&time=1

A graph that shows what he did to the traffic volume is here

http://snowbird.findu.com/cgi-bin/aprsis.cgi?last=100&xsize=500&ysize=300

This graph includes CWOP traffic, so combined the baseline represents 30 - 40,000 users, and the bump is all one selfish user.

Andrew, don't ever send anything to the APRS IS that is not ham radio again. Please.

Steve K4HG